Counterpart Season 1 is the first season of the Starz Original Series created by Justin Marks.
The first season of the SciFi/Drama introduces Howard Silk, a lowly cog in the bureaucratic machine of the Office of Interchange in Berlin. Howard discovers that the agency is really overseeing The Crossing, a portal into a parallel dimension and becomes embroiled in a conspiracy that involves another, very different, version of himself.
Counterpart Creator Justin Marks (The Jungle Book) initially wrote his cross-dimensional tale as a spec feature. It landed at MRC (Media Rights Capital) in 2013 and they suggested that Marks develop it into a series. Current Season 2 writer Maegan Houang was a script reader at MRC at the time and says she was one of the first to read it.
Marks tapped longtime friend and producer Jordan Horowitz (La La Land) to collaborate and further developed the concept.
Starz picked up the show in spring 2015 and veteran TV producer Amy Berg (Eureka, Person of Interest) was brought in to help first-time showrunner Marks. with production starting in winter 2016.
Marks along with executive producers Berg and Horowitz, formed a writers' room with Gary Gilbert, Erin Levy, and others long before production began. Berg reports it was the first time in her long career that she's had a full season of scripts in hand before cameras rolled.
Marks described the first season as a 10-hour movie with ten chapters. The first episode is directed by Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game). Jennifer Getzinger (Mad Men, Outlander) directed three episodes as did Stephen Williams (Ray Donovan, Westworld)
- J. K. Simmons as Howard Silk
- Olivia Williams as Emily Burton Silk
- Harry Lloyd as Peter Quayle
- Nazanin Boniadi as Clare
- Sara Serraiocco as Baldwin
- Ulrich Thomsen as Aldrich
- Nicholas Pinnock as Ian Shaw
- Bernhard Forcher as Andrei
- Stephen Rea as Alexander Pope
- Kenneth Choi as Bob Dwyer
- Nolan Gerard Funk as Oskar Wolfe
- Lotte Verbeek as Helen Moller
- Christiane Paul as Mira
- Guy Burnet as Ambassador Claude Lambert
- Ingo Rademacher as Friedrich
- Jacqueline Antaramian as Ava Fancher
- Jacqueline Bisset as Charlotte Burton
- Liv Lisa Fries as Greta
- Marco Khan as Raash
- Mido Hamada as Cyrus
- Rahul Parikh as Max
- Sarah Bolger as Anna
- Stefan Kapicic as Lieber
- Adeel Akhtar as Kasper
- Justin Marks - Created by/Writer/EP
- Jordan Horowitz - Writer/EP
- Amy Berg - Writer/EP
- Bard Dorros - EP
- Gary Gilbert - Writer/Producer
- Morten Tyldum - Director/EP
- Jennifer Getzinger - Director
- Stephen Williams - Director
- Maegan Houang - Writer
- Erin Levy - Writer